Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Gigging at Open Jazz Mic Night at the Freakin' Frog!

My first gig in a number of months (it's been way too long...)
The place was about 5 minutes from UNLV (University of Las Vegas). I actually passed by UNLV's music building on the drive there...

I felt really rusty. This was the first time in my life I had not practiced piano in 2 weeks (there was no access to a piano...although, I guess there were random keyboards at the Golden Nugget).
Additionally, I could have asked if I could try to play on a piano at UNLV (University of Las Vegas), as my housing for the 2nd half of the trip was ~5 min. away from their music building....

One of the guys brought a lot of real books which contain the changes for a lot of tunes. Primarily, Real Book 1 was used.

I got there relatively early to ask how open mic night worked. In a nutshell:
1. Tell the "host" (guy running the show) you were interested in playing and what instrument.
2. Play a couple tunes...
3. Switch off with others as people request...

Set 1:
1. Have You Met Miss Jones
2. Mr. PC - first tune - fast blues w/ "guest tenor sax player" - bebop tune
3. Footprints - Wayne Shorter 6/8 piece

Another couple pianists showed up and I listened to a lot of them play. I kinda realized a lot of aspects that I sometimes neglect in my jazz piano playing (different melodic licks, chordal licks, etc...)...
My comping has always been in need of improvement since I never really get a chance to play with live musician much anymore (usually, I'm using the Jamey Aebersold play a long collection...my solo playing seems to have improved greatly, but no so much on the comping side).

I heard lots of standards including On Green Dolphin Street. There were also about 3 singers who sang some tunes as well. Overall, I heard of lot of great musicians. There was a group of Vegas regular/professionals, and a large "core group" of high school musicians. Their skill level was on par with Case's jazz ensembles and were very good, even at college level.

One of the other pianists realized that I hadn't played at all since the night opened, so he recommended I close out the show.

4. Four (Miles Davis)
5. St. Thomas

Overall, it was great experience to play with a lot of musicians and I learned a lot of things that I need to reincorporate/work on in my jazz piano playing

Freakin Frog Links
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/muc/1818152323.html


http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=132078323472875&index=1

No comments:

Post a Comment