Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Poker Career Direction (Online and Live)

After my return from LV, I've talked with some of my more experienced poker friends regarding career direction in the live/online and cash game (and MTT) realm. I did not play much NLHE cash during my trip...
Rumor has it that draw might get a small resurgence as Full Tilt is likely going to introduce draw games (PL 5 card draw, 2-7 triple draw, 2-7 single draw, badugi, and a N-game mix) in coordination with the FTOPS XVIII starting in a week or so. This has caused me to think more about my direction.

(+s are positives; -s are negatives).
Here's my current thoughts with their feedback:

PLO8
+1. The best chance to get a WSOP/FTOPS/WCOOP/SCOOP bracelet and/or huge MTT score since the game is not that popular.
-1. The game will probably never get that popular. Thus, new "fish" will not be showing up as often. It will become 90+% reg infested by the time I get into higher small stakes cash games.
-2. Live cash games are practically non-existent. MTTs are a rare occurrence.

NLHE

+1. Best table selection: most number of options for live games (everyone is playing NLHE currently).
-1. To reach equivalent stakes (assuming variance was equal) requires a lot more knowledge. NLHE is much more of a "solved game".
-2. By not spending 100% time focused on NLHE cash, I'm definitely moving up at a slower pace...

PLO
+1. The game is definitely not as "solved". The learning curve is definitely less to move up the ladder.
-1. Live games tend to be rare.
-2. Live variance is ...mentally challenging.

Mixed Limit Games (LO8, S/8, etc...)
+1. The fields do seem to be fairly inexperienced, especially in mixed limit games (ie: 8 game mix for example - 2-7TD, HORSE, NLHE, PLO).
-1. There aren't too many games which would be worthwhile in terms of possible live hourly rate. 10/20 and 15/30 games aren't too common and are likely less juicy compared to the equivalent 2-5 big bet game at NLHE/PLO/PLO8.
-2. Spending a lot of time on my Stud Hi game, isn't probably going to earn me a lot of money. LHE might be worthwhile, but it's the same concern as -1.

No comments:

Post a Comment