Sunday, February 12, 2012

Is this a really a post about jazz?

After taking the plunge to post onto Craig's List on 1/1/2012, I've been fortunate to get 2 specific hits! (There were a lot of people (7-10) wanting keyboard player, but they wanted everything from rock to funk. I got a smooth jazz group too, but was not interested.)

Group 1: An existing quartet (female vocal, guitar, bass, drums). Ages are a good mix too (2 20-somethings, 2 40-somethings). Everyone seems solid and working hard to get ready to play some gigs.

Group 2: I found a drummer + trumpet player. The drummer met a bassist at a local jam session.
The drummer and bassist are both "cruise ship" veterans and definitely were well versed and experienced. I felt kind of comfortable, although a little rigid to trying to do more "advanced" stuff (changing harmonies is a big example).
It's put a fire in me to try to spend more time delving into jazz music theory and learning/working with different "substitute harmonies".
I'm not sure how serious this group will be to try to get gigs, nor am i sure if they will even be in Cleveland long term.

No comments:

Post a Comment